SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's Frameline Film Festival is the oldest film festival devoted to LGBT programming in the United States. This week, they'll mark their 37 year in the shadow of what could be historic decisions by the Supreme Court on same-sex marriage.
Christie Herring is the producer and director of "The Campaign". Her film follows the people behind "The No On 8 Campaign" and attempts to answer the question: "What activates a person to literally drop everything they're doing, with little-to-no financial support, and stand behind a cause they believe in?"
Herring didn't use actors or people you're likely to see on the news, which is why she believes her documentary will connect with an audience beyond the LGBT community.
"Ultimately, I hope they take away the feeling they can do something small, that they can do something small or large to effect change," said Herring.
"We expect the Supreme Court decision on Prop 8 and DOMA to come down during the film festival," said K.C. Price, the Frameline executive director.
Organizers say ticket sales for this year's festival have been the best they've had in the last four years. But the most discussed item may not be one of the 800 featured films, but rather the possible decisions reached by the Supreme Court on both Prop 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act.
lgbt, proposition 8, supreme court, movies, entertainment
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos