James Spader cast as villain in 'Avengers' sequel
NEW YORK -- The "Avengers" sequel has its villain.
Marvel announced Thursday that James Spader will play Ultron in its "Avengers: Age of Ultron." In the comics, the character is a robot with artificial intelligence.
"Age of Ultron" is the sequel to the 2012 box office hit "The Avengers." Disney will release it in May 2015. The film will be directed by Joss Whedon and will star Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson.
The 53-year-old Spader is well known for this TV work including roles on "The Practice," ''Boston Legal" and the upcoming NBC drama "The Blacklist." His films include 1989's "Sex, Lies and Videotape" and last year's "Lincoln."
movies, celebrity, entertainment
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 28 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire 7 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos