James Spader cast as villain in 'Avengers' sequel
NEW YORK -- The "Avengers" sequel has its villain.
Marvel announced Thursday that James Spader will play Ultron in its "Avengers: Age of Ultron." In the comics, the character is a robot with artificial intelligence.
"Age of Ultron" is the sequel to the 2012 box office hit "The Avengers." Disney will release it in May 2015. The film will be directed by Joss Whedon and will star Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson.
The 53-year-old Spader is well known for this TV work including roles on "The Practice," ''Boston Legal" and the upcoming NBC drama "The Blacklist." His films include 1989's "Sex, Lies and Videotape" and last year's "Lincoln."
movies, celebrity, entertainment
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting