Break in case of blues legend's stolen guitar
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Last week, ABC7 News reported the story of a legendary blues musician who had his car, loaded with his instruments and equipment, stolen. Tuesday, there was a break in the case.
No one wanted to talk Tuesday at the Music Unlimited store in San Leandro, but a surveillance camera told a clear and disturbing story, at least to musician Ron Thompson.
"I can tell the guitar, especially the one with my name on it," he said.
Thieves stole, not only Thompson's car, but also his prized, trademark, Gibson guitar that was inside of it.
But video from inside Music Unlimited show that Monday, three young men appeared to try to sell the guitar. The young men disappeared, but Hayward police describe it as a break in the case.
"It gives us a start. An opportunity for probable cause, brings us closer to arrest," Hayward Police Sgt. Mark Ormsby said.
They got another break when Thompson's stolen car turned up in Oakland.
"There was a young man driving it. They arrested him and impounded the car," Ormsby said.
But there was no match between the man in the stolen car, and the people in the music store.
Thompson was able to pick up his car but three wheels are missing and the inside is trashed. So far now, Thompson is continuing to live the blues, rather than play them.
music, crime, hayward, entertainment, wayne freedman
- Underground fire forcing evacuations in Oakland 1 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- 'Radioactive' package found at Lafayette intersection
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Oakland robberies; Pitcher makes donation
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday