Bay Area woman vies for title of Miss America
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (KGO) -- A Bay Area woman will be among the 53 women vying for Miss America.
Crystal Lee of San Francisco was crowned Miss California last year. The 22-year-old grew up in the city and then got her undergrad and graduate degree in communications from Stanford.
On Sunday her friends and former competitors for Miss Silicon Valley were cheering her on. They sold strawberry shortcake at the Santa Clara Art and Wine Festival as part of a fundraiser.
They say Crystal has a shot to win because she's not just a pretty face.
"She's so positive," said Molly Crawford, Miss Santa Clara. "I've never met anybody more positive or happy than Crystal Lee. I've never seen her upset, never, and I've known her for, like, four years now. I've never seen her sad or anything."
The pageant has returned to the boardwalk in Atlantic City, N.J. - the place where it all began in 1921.
The winner will succeed the current title-holder Mallory Hagan. Her reign is being cut short because the pageant left Las Vegas, where it had been held the past six years and where a winner was selected each January.
The pageant pits 53 contestants - one from each state, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands - in swimsuit, evening gown, talent and interview competitions.
You can catch the Miss America pageant on ABC7 at 9 p.m.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland 56 min ago
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices 57 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline 37 min ago
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME 42 min ago
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos