Mispronounciation costs 'Wheel' contestant $1 million
One contestant found out spelling isn't the only thing that counts on Wheel of Fortune.
Paul Atkinson landed on the hard-to-reach, $1 million wedge. He knew the missing letter, but got disqualified because he mispronounced one of the words saying "corio" instead of "curio."
"That was my biggest nightmare. I knew I messed up. I knew something awesome could've happened, but I totally goofed it," he recalled.
Fudging the words "corner" and "curio" cost Atkinson big bucks. Instead of taking home $1 million, the firefighter from Oregon collected $2,000.
And despite public outcry on social media, Wheel of Fortune producers say rules are rules and Atkinson blew his big chance at big bucks.
social media, television, entertainment
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice 25 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak 59 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 7 On Your Side: Affordable home automation
58 min ago