Joseph Gordon-Levitt talks about 'Don Jon'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt recently added writing and directing to his resume and his first feature film, "Don Jon," hits theaters across the country this week. He visited San Francisco to talk about what exactly inspired his romantic comedy of errors.
Real life is not the same as a movie. "People say to me, 'If only my life could be like that movie you were in,'" Gordon-Levitt says, describing some of the things his fans tell him. "If only I could have somebody like you in that movie."
While obviously flattered, the unrealistic expectations moviegoers often develop while suspending their disbelief don't necessarily sit right with Gordon-Levitt. He says it's startling. So naturally, he "wanted to tell a story that pokes fun at that."
In "Don Jon," Gordon-Levitt plays Jon Martello, your typical strong, handsome, good old-fashioned guy, the kind that gets all the girls, all the time -- except he's also hooked on pornography.
Scarlett Johansson plays Barbara Sugarman, a bright, beautiful, good old-fashioned girl looking for her Prince Charming -- except that she believes, literally, in riding off into the sunset.
"The guy watches too much pornography and the girl watches too many romantic Hollywood movies," Gordon-Levitt explained. So, you can kind of see where this is going. It's romantic. And it's funny. But that's not quite enough for Gordon-Levitt's tastes.
"I'll laugh with you for like a good sketch half-hour," he said. "But if I'm gonna watch a whole movie, a whole 90 minutes, I need a little something more."
And this one definitely offers more. This story about love, sex, and false expectations opens Friday.
(Don Jon clips courtesy of Relativity Media.)
celebrity, movies, internet, entertainment
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 13 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges 43 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 35 min ago
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
15 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
31 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
13 min ago