Sam Champion to exit ABC News for Weather Channel
NEW YORK -- "Good Morning America" weather anchor Sam Champion is leaving ABC News to join the Weather Channel.
Weather Channel President David Clark announced Monday that Champion will anchor the network's new flagship morning show, which is set to debut in early 2014. Champion, who will be based at the Weather Channel headquarters in Atlanta, will also assume managing editor responsibilities at the network.
His last day on "GMA" is Wednesday. He had been on that program since 2006. He joined local New York station WABC in 1988.
ABC News President Ben Sherwood said Champion's fellow meteorologist Ginger Zee will take over his weather responsibilities at "GMA" and across the news division.
Champion has been part of the "GMA" team as it seized the ratings crown from NBC's longtime front-running "Today" show.
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 15 min ago
- Cause of Mountain View house fire investigated
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000
- Person stabbed during fight at SF's Dolores Park 46 min ago
- Woman Canadian goalie debuts in men's league 20 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case 58 min ago
- Two killed by suspected DUI driver in in Santa Rosa 43 min ago
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos