SF Oscar fundraiser raises AIDS awareness
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The biggest Oscar party outside of Hollywood is in San Francisco, and it's also a major fundraiser for HIV and AIDS organizations.
About 2,000 people came to celebrate Oscar's night. This night proves San Francisco can show Hollywood a thing or two when it comes to glitz and glamour.
The gala was a tribute called "Behind the Seams: Fashion in Film," in that vein women and men strutted their stuff at this big night -- enough to turn heads.
San Francisco fashion designer Jay Sario was the winner on last week's "Project Runway" show.
"I think it is about time San Francisco is taken as a fashion place, because no one has taken fashion here seriously," he said.
But this was more than about looking good, there was a reaction of silent lack of surprise when "The Hurt Locker" won best picture. But roaring applause for Mo'Nique's win for best supporting actress and a little hometown pride when Emeryville's Pixar won for best animated film with "Up."
"It's great to have someone from the Bay Area recognized and honored tonight," said a gala guest.
For all the fun this is a serious event. The Academy of Friends is dedicated to raising money and awareness about HIV/AIDS and this is their 30th year.
"For us it's a bittersweet moment acknowledging that since our founding 30 years ago that HIV and AIDS is still impacting our community," J. Douglas Piper from the Academy of Friends said.
AIDS, academy awards, award shows, los angeles, celebrity, oscars, don sanchez
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Bicyclist fatally struck by vehicle in Inner Mission 57 min ago
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos