East Bay designer hopes to shine on Oscar night
LOS ANGELES (KGO) -- An Oakland fashion designer is one of nine up-and-coming designers vying to have their original evening gowns worn on Oscar night.
Zoe Hong is taking part in the 'Oscar Designer Challenge 2011.' The other designers are from LA, New York and Chicago. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences wants the public to vote on which designer is the best.
The winning gown will be worn by one of the awards escorts that hand out the statues and the designer gets to attend the big show.
"When I was nine or 10 and I learned how to sew, I watched the Oscars and always thought, 'one day.' It's a dream come true," one of the contestants said.
The voting ends on Feb. 21. You can watch the 83rd Academy Awards show and all the red carpet fashion beginning at 5 p.m. right here on ABC7 on Sunday, Feb. 27.
fashion, academy awards, movies, oscars
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos