SFSU alumnus nominated for Oscar
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Area has more than a passing interest in the Oscars, multiple nominees hail from the area. And the world renowned film program at San Francisco State University has an impressive track record.
"Well one of the things SF State did for me is encourage the spirit of experimentation," Ethan Van der Ryn said.
Even if you don't know Van der Ryn by name, you know his work. Already a two time winner, Van der Ryn is nominated for sound editing in Transformers.
Actually, San Francisco State has quite a good record in the Oscars. It has had nominees 13 straight years.
"It must be something in the water," Pat Jensen said.
Daniel Bernardi, who runs the department, believes students from succeed because the program is less commercial.
"We don't try to be Hollywood filmmakers, we teach them to express themselves creatively and artistically," Bernardi said.
san francisco state, academy awards, movies, oscars, wayne freedman
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday