SFSU alumnus nominated for Oscar
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Area has more than a passing interest in the Oscars, multiple nominees hail from the area. And the world renowned film program at San Francisco State University has an impressive track record.
"Well one of the things SF State did for me is encourage the spirit of experimentation," Ethan Van der Ryn said.
Even if you don't know Van der Ryn by name, you know his work. Already a two time winner, Van der Ryn is nominated for sound editing in Transformers.
Actually, San Francisco State has quite a good record in the Oscars. It has had nominees 13 straight years.
"It must be something in the water," Pat Jensen said.
Daniel Bernardi, who runs the department, believes students from succeed because the program is less commercial.
"We don't try to be Hollywood filmmakers, we teach them to express themselves creatively and artistically," Bernardi said.
san francisco state, academy awards, movies, oscars, wayne freedman
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday