Study: Species in 'Finding Nemo' near extinction
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Remember the cute characters from the movie Finding Nemo?
Environmentalists warn their real-life counterparts are disappearing from our oceans.
A study conducted by environmentalists in Canada found turtles like Squirt and Crush are threatened. Sixteen percent of the species shown in the movie are in danger of extinction.
Even Nemo himself is at risk: The movie caused a rush to buy clownfish for fish tanks, reducing the number of fish on coral reefs.
animal, animals in peril, green
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos