Study: Species in 'Finding Nemo' near extinction
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Remember the cute characters from the movie Finding Nemo?
Environmentalists warn their real-life counterparts are disappearing from our oceans.
A study conducted by environmentalists in Canada found turtles like Squirt and Crush are threatened. Sixteen percent of the species shown in the movie are in danger of extinction.
Even Nemo himself is at risk: The movie caused a rush to buy clownfish for fish tanks, reducing the number of fish on coral reefs.
animal, animals in peril, green
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 28 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 21 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos