Preview of New Year's Eve events
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There's a lot going on here in the Bay Area on New Year's Eve. Here's a preview of just some of the events.
Most of the action will center along the Embarcadero. Hundreds of thousands of people will converge on the Embarcadero to watch the fireworks at midnight.
The aerial artistry is a chance for people to cheer in the New Year. Roughly 250,000 people are expected to gather near the Ferry Building and Justin Herman Plaza. Barricades will be going up, traffic will come to a halt, and police say security will be tight.
New Year's Eve parties in hotels like the Fairmont mix it up with bubbly, food and dancing.
"The Crown Room is actually sold out, but we have a few spots left at our Laurel Court or our Tonga Room," said Erin Loughlin, the Fairmont Hotel sales manager.
From the top of the Fairmont to the Top of the Mark across the street, to Union Square, hotels offer an elegant evening. There won't be parties in Union Square. And the ice rink will shut down early at 9:30 p.m.
If it's music you're seeking, the San Francisco Symphony's Masquerade Ball has classic and pop. At the Bill Graham Civic it's Phil Lesh and Bob Weir as "Further." Fans line up at 5 a.m.
"We are devoted. We'll wait all day long and then stay as late as we can into the concert. We love these concerts," said Doris Ogden from San Bruno.
"Teatro Zinzanni" closes its tent at pier 29 after Saturday night's show. "Beach Blanket Babylon" goes on forever. Illinois and UCLA fans are everywhere in anticipation of Saturday's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at AT&T Park -- take that as a traffic advisory.
At the Asian Art Museum Saturday morning each ring of the bell signals the start of a fresh New Year.
And around the city, The Balloon Lady is blowing up thousands of balloons for events. At the Nob Hill Center it's for the Bone's Comedy Caravan. Those balloons get dropped at midnight.
This is the time of year where optimism reigns supreme, we resolve to make it a better year, however, please resolve to drive carefully.
new year's eve event, new year's eve, embarcadero, at&t park, green, don sanchez
- SFPD SWAT in standoff with shooting suspect 53 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos