Preview of New Year's Eve events
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There's a lot going on here in the Bay Area on New Year's Eve. Here's a preview of just some of the events.
Most of the action will center along the Embarcadero. Hundreds of thousands of people will converge on the Embarcadero to watch the fireworks at midnight.
The aerial artistry is a chance for people to cheer in the New Year. Roughly 250,000 people are expected to gather near the Ferry Building and Justin Herman Plaza. Barricades will be going up, traffic will come to a halt, and police say security will be tight.
New Year's Eve parties in hotels like the Fairmont mix it up with bubbly, food and dancing.
"The Crown Room is actually sold out, but we have a few spots left at our Laurel Court or our Tonga Room," said Erin Loughlin, the Fairmont Hotel sales manager.
From the top of the Fairmont to the Top of the Mark across the street, to Union Square, hotels offer an elegant evening. There won't be parties in Union Square. And the ice rink will shut down early at 9:30 p.m.
If it's music you're seeking, the San Francisco Symphony's Masquerade Ball has classic and pop. At the Bill Graham Civic it's Phil Lesh and Bob Weir as "Further." Fans line up at 5 a.m.
"We are devoted. We'll wait all day long and then stay as late as we can into the concert. We love these concerts," said Doris Ogden from San Bruno.
"Teatro Zinzanni" closes its tent at pier 29 after Saturday night's show. "Beach Blanket Babylon" goes on forever. Illinois and UCLA fans are everywhere in anticipation of Saturday's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at AT&T Park -- take that as a traffic advisory.
At the Asian Art Museum Saturday morning each ring of the bell signals the start of a fresh New Year.
And around the city, The Balloon Lady is blowing up thousands of balloons for events. At the Nob Hill Center it's for the Bone's Comedy Caravan. Those balloons get dropped at midnight.
This is the time of year where optimism reigns supreme, we resolve to make it a better year, however, please resolve to drive carefully.
new year's eve event, new year's eve, embarcadero, at&t park, green, don sanchez
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole 31 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 13 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos