Contest challenges student to use less energy
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A contest held in Berkeley Wednesday challenged college students to think big about using smaller amounts of energy. A team from Santa Clara University is hoping to come away with the prize.
A team of students recognized that clothes driers are inefficient.
"They take up a ton of energy and people are constantly running them, so we need to solve that problem," Santa Clara University senior Liz Papangellin said.
That's what the team of Santa Clara University students did. By adding a heat exchanger to an ordinary dryer, they recycle the warm exhaust that comes out the back.
The students say it's the first of its kind.
"It's kind of surprising that the idea hasn't been come up with yet, but there's always got to be the first person to do it," Santa Clara University senior Tim Hussey said.
Add a small rooftop unit that heats air with solar power and they cut the dryer's energy use by 84 percent.
"We were shocked, it was crazy, but we're really excited," Papangellin said.
They were even more excited to enter the national Max Tech and Beyond Design Competition to build greener appliances, hosted at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
"Our interest is to push energy efficiency as rapidly as we can to address very, very serious problems of climate change," competition organizer Karina Garbesi said.
Moving a dryer isn't exactly the easiest thing, but the students didn't have to, because in another energy saving move, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory hosted the competition virtually. Via phone and Web conference, nine teams, including two from Santa Clara, showed their ideas to a panel of judges.
The results aren't in yet, but organizers hope the ultimate winner will be society.
"Training engineers to work in an area that heretofore has not been considered sexy, which is energy efficiency," Garbesi said.
berkeley, santa clara university, green, jonathan bloom
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 54 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 34 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose 37 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
15 min ago