Lap-Band weight loss ads under investigation
LOS ANGELES (KGO) -- Lap-Band surgery centers affiliated with the 1-800-GET-THIN advertising campaign are under state and federal investigation for possible fraud.
The Los Angeles Times reports the California Department of Insurance, the FDA, and Congress are examining alleged misleading advertising and risks of the weight-loss surgery. Officials with 1-800-GET-THIN and affiliated surgery centers said they were unaware of the new investigation and had broken no laws.
According to lawsuits and autopsy reports, at least five Southern California patients have died after Lap-Band procedures at clinics affiliated with the 1-800-GET-THIN campaign.
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Memorial taking place in SF to honor Mandela
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay 59 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos