Hospital offers drive-thru flu shot clinic
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- If you've been putting off getting your flu shot -- now is the time because flu season is almost here. One Bay Area medical center is making it easier than ever by offering the vaccine for free. People don't even have to get out of their cars.
As Doctor Charles Chiu studies the flu virus at UCSF this season - he isn't liking what he sees.
"There are two new strains which are targeted by this year's vaccines which appear in southern hemisphere to cause severe cases of influenza," said UCSF Assistant Professor Charles Chiu, MD.
Dr. Chiu says the science of studying infectious diseases involves the art of predicting. They aren't 100 percent certain about what the flu will bring. But from what they can tell - this year's flu virus could make you sicker than in year's past. Dr. Chiu has another concern this year - he's worried that last year's flu could impact how we behave this year.
"Last year was mild and may give people a sense of complacency that potentially they may not need to get vaccinated and that this year may also be mild. I want to stress - we don't know beforehand whether a particular is going to be worse or better," said Dr. Chiu.
The vaccine is one of the best defenses against the flu - and he strongly recommends getting it. It's the same vaccine whether it's in the drug store or the doctor's office - and its tailor-made to fight what they think we will be dealing with this year. And it doesn't just protect you.
"There also is some benefit from a community perspective of getting a vaccine because then by protecting yourself you also help to protect others around you from getting infected with influenza," said Dr. Chiu.
Dr. Chiu said last year's flu virus was possibly the mildest in a decade. He said the public can take some of the credit for that by taking precautions like washing hands and getting vaccinated. The hope is to keep that trend going this year.
san pablo, flu, health, lyanne melendez
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 17 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges 35 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday 48 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
33 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos