Study: For some, math linked to physical pain
Many Americans don't like to do math. New research may suggest why -- scientists found when some people do math, they actually feel the same anxiety associated with pain.
Scientists hooked 28 people up to brain scanners and had them do math problems. While some of the people had no anxiety, others showed the same brain activity linked to the sensation of pain.
The brain activity was even greater for those subjects who admit to having a fear of math.
Further research is necessary to confirm the conclusions.
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 11 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting