Legos help boy get through medical treatment
LOS ANGELES (KGO) -- A young California boy is pursuing his passion as he fights a devastating disease and his doctors believe the work is as beneficial as it is rewarding.
Blink and you'll miss how fast 6-year-old Dylan Prunty can put together a 400 piece Lego set. For the last several months while he's been a patient at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, he's built 70 planes, trains, cars, temples and dragons. He doesn't watch TV or play video games, and he even keeps building through his routine blood draws.
"My Mom wants me to be an engineer," Dylan said.
Dylan has a severe form of mitochondrial disease, the powerhouse of the cells don't create enough energy to sustain his body. Parts of him are shutting down.
But his doctors say piecing together Legos is powerful medicine for Dylan.
"It seems like he can actually focus on what he is achieving," Dr. Mimi Kim said.
Dylan says it also distracts from the pain.
Nearly a dozen pediatric specialists are working to combat his condition. While they work, Dylan has now graduated projects so complex, they are rated for teenagers, and have more than 1,300 pieces.
"Just the way he talks about it, it's like he puts himself in a different place rather than being here," Kim said.
"It is easy, for me," Dylan said.
Dylan says his ultimate goal is to build an entire Lego city.
children, southern california, los angeles, health, carolyn johnson
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 21 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 18 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos