SF invention takes the elliptical machine outdoors
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- If you want to burn a lot of calories, you're typically faced with a choice -- go running or biking outside or go spend an hour at the gym. But a high-tech alternative, invented right here in the Bay Area, combines the best of both.
ElliptiGO is just like those elliptical machines at the gym except it actually goes places.
"I thought it was so obvious," ElliptiGO co-founder Bryan Pate said. "I was on an elliptical trainer and I thought it would be so easy to make this thing so you could ride it on the street."
Pate was dead wrong about that. It took him five years to finish designing the $1,800 contraption that now has a cult following among pro athletes, especially distance runners.
"Running is really hard on the body; if you do it in a moderate amount, it's wonderful for the body, but what professional athlete does anything in a moderate amount," professional track and field athlete Lauren Fleshman said.
Fleshman, a two-time U.S. track and field champion, says she had her best season ever when she started alternating ElliptiGO with her running workouts to cover more miles with less pounding.
"It eliminates that impact, which is really the limiting factor for the volume of miles you can run in a week," Pate said.
Despite how smooth it is, it is actually a pretty intense workout. In fact, ElliptiGO sponsored a study at the UC San Diego that shows it burns 33 percent more calories than riding a bike.
Professional athletes aside, Pate says most ElliptiGO customers are just like him: fitness junkies who need a lower-impact alternative to running.
Oprah Winfrey's rumored to have one and so is Google co-founder Sergey Brin. For the rest of us, you can rent one at the Sports Basement.
fitness, health, jonathan bloom
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 52 min ago
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 9 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency 33 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos