SF invention takes the elliptical machine outdoors
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- If you want to burn a lot of calories, you're typically faced with a choice -- go running or biking outside or go spend an hour at the gym. But a high-tech alternative, invented right here in the Bay Area, combines the best of both.
ElliptiGO is just like those elliptical machines at the gym except it actually goes places.
"I thought it was so obvious," ElliptiGO co-founder Bryan Pate said. "I was on an elliptical trainer and I thought it would be so easy to make this thing so you could ride it on the street."
Pate was dead wrong about that. It took him five years to finish designing the $1,800 contraption that now has a cult following among pro athletes, especially distance runners.
"Running is really hard on the body; if you do it in a moderate amount, it's wonderful for the body, but what professional athlete does anything in a moderate amount," professional track and field athlete Lauren Fleshman said.
Fleshman, a two-time U.S. track and field champion, says she had her best season ever when she started alternating ElliptiGO with her running workouts to cover more miles with less pounding.
"It eliminates that impact, which is really the limiting factor for the volume of miles you can run in a week," Pate said.
Despite how smooth it is, it is actually a pretty intense workout. In fact, ElliptiGO sponsored a study at the UC San Diego that shows it burns 33 percent more calories than riding a bike.
Professional athletes aside, Pate says most ElliptiGO customers are just like him: fitness junkies who need a lower-impact alternative to running.
Oprah Winfrey's rumored to have one and so is Google co-founder Sergey Brin. For the rest of us, you can rent one at the Sports Basement.
fitness, health, jonathan bloom
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 18 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam 22 min ago
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor 57 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
49 min ago