Komen ending San Francisco 3-day cancer walk
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A well-known breast cancer fundraising organization is ending a tradition in the Bay Area. Beginning next year, the Susan G. Komen Foundation will stop its three-day-walk in San Francisco and several other cities.
In past years, the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk through the Bay Area has attracted thousands of people trying to put an end to breast cancer. But the number of walkers has dwindled, especially after last year's flap when the Komen founder tried to stop sending funds to Planned Parenthood.
Jackie Ferris took part in three Komen walks, raising more than $8,000. But last year she pulled out.
"I registered and then the news hit regarding Planned Parenthood and pulling funding by Komen to Planned Parenthood and I thought was very inappropriate," she said.
A Komen spokesperson admits the Planned Parenthood controversy was a factor, but also points to a sour economy and competition from other charities.
Beginning next year, the 3-day walks are being canceled not only in San Francisco, but Phoenix, Boston, Chicago Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Washington D.C. They will continue in seven other cities.
"My hope is that breast cancer doesn't lose because they're pulling out, but that people will fund organizations that support breast cancer research," Ferris said.
The decision by komen to end the 3-day walk will not affect its well-known Race for the Cure, which will continue.
cancer, women's health, fundraiser, charities, planned parenthood, health
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 2 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos