Girls' second-degree burns blamed on limes, sun combo
LEMOORE, Calif. (KGO) -- A group of girls near Fresno have learned a painful lesson about the dangers of lime juice and too much sun.
Jewels, Jazmyn, Bailey, Candy and Reyghan, aged 7 to 11, were playing in the backyard when they decided to pick limes from their neighbor's tree. They then spent the next few hours making lime and lemonade, getting the juice all over the place.
The next day the girls woke up in excruciating pain from rashes and blisters on their faces, hands, arms, and legs.
"It hurt so bad it felt like there was a hundred needles just going in one spot," Jewels said. "We never thought lime could actually burn our skin like acid. Probably the worst pain I've ever felt."
The girls suffered second-degree burns from the acid in those limes combined with hours of direct sunlight. It's actually a condition called phytophotodermatitis. The girls spent days in the ICU on morphine for pain.
Doctors say these rashes are more common than people realize.
As for how to prevent it, they say to wear sunscreen and wash your hands before you go out in the sun.
The scarring the girls suffered could take six to 12 months to heal.
central valley, children, health
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 50 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest 27 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 54 min ago
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban 15 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide 3 min ago