New recommendations for young concussion victims
BOSTON (KGO) -- New research shows young concussion victims may need to stay away from books, computers and video games for several days, or risk delaying their recovery.
Doctors say young people often want to return to school and begin using electronics right away, but the study shows a gradual resumption of activities is best for healing.
The authors recommend three to five days of near full mental rest then a slow return to full mental activity.
The study comes from the Sports Concussion Clinic at Boston Children's Hospital and is in the January 6, 2014 issue of The Journal of Pediatrics.
books, computers, video game, health
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested 29 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash 10 min ago
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer...
29 min ago
- Little progress made in search for missing...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos