Mom expecting triplets gives birth to identical quadruplets
A Mississippi woman and her doctor got a big surprise, just days before Valentine's Day. She was expecting triplets, but that changed when she delivered her babies three months early. Kimberly Fugate, 42, actually had identical quadruplets -- all girls.
The pregnancy was unplanned and the quadruplets were conceived without fertility treatments, an extremely rare occurrence. Doctors say the odds are one in 13 million, with only 60 cases documented in medical history.
"Well they had delivered three babies, and I heard them say "extra feet,'" Fugate said.
The girls, named Kristen, Kayleigh, Kelsey, and Kenleigh, are in intensive care right now.
Mom says she hopes she'll be able to take them home in May.
children, parenting, pregnancy, health
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday