I-Team

Dana Stubblefield restraining order extended

Thursday, November 05, 2009
, Chief Investigative Reporter
More: , E-mail, Blog, Facebook, Twitter, News Team

A Santa Clara County family court judge has approved a five-year restraining order against San Francisco 49er defensive great Dana Stubblefield. The decision comes after an I-Team report last week with his former fiancée, who says he threatened her life.

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7

When Stubblefield's former fiancée arrived at Santa Clara County family court Wednesday afternoon, the deal had already been made.

The former San Francisco 49er star agreed to have the restraining order against him extended to five years.

"I feel relieved, satisfied, happy it's over and hopefully everything works out for the best," Melanie Wade said.

The restraining order is good until November 4, 2014; it says Stubblefield can have no contact with Wade -- no phone calls, no threats, no surveillance, no stalking.

Stubblefield is ordered to stay 300 yards away from Wade. The distance is reduced to 30 feet if they both attend the same church service.

Stubblefield did not attend Wednesday's hearing and his lawyer refused to be interviewed. He only said Stubblefield is not admitting guilt or wrongdoing.

"I don't really care, I really don't care he doesn't admit to what he did or not, it happened and I got what I wanted, I got the restraining order," Wade said.

Last week, Wade told the I-Team that Stubblefield threatened her life, called her 50 times or more a day until she changed her number and even knocked her off her bike with his Chevy Suburban.

Dan Noyes: "Were you actually afraid?"

Melanie Wade: "One hundred percent, I was afraid for my life, like I told you before, and I'm just happy that I have this to protect me now."

The extension of the restraining order kills Stubblefield's chances of returning as coach to San Jose's Valley Christian High School varsity football team. The president of the school forced Stubblefield out this week, after seeing the first I-Team report.

Stubblefield is also facing an investigation by the U.S. Postal Service.

Wade told investigators that Stubblefield forged her signature on a change of address form and had her mail forwarded to his house, including her paychecks, phone bills and bank statements.

"All of my accounts, every single one, he went online and he logged in like it's me and he created passwords, so I couldn't even get into my accounts online," Wade said.

Federal investigators from the Postal Service Wednesday said they found enough to launch a formal investigation into possible mail fraud.

Stubblefield is already on probation for lying about his steroid use to federal investigators in the BALCO case -- if proven to be true, the mail fraud accusation could land him in prison.

Dan Noyes: "Do you want Dana to go to prison?"

Melanie Wade: "I don't wish that on anybody. All I wish is that he gets the help that he needs. That's it."

The 26-year-old is now moving on with her life -- working on her career as a personal trainer.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

(Copyright ©2014 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more I-Team »


Tags:
i-team, dan noyes
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement