East Bay lawmaker introduces bill to mandate rape kit testing
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It's been eight months since the ABC7 News I-Team discovered thousands of rape kits with untested DNA evidence at police agencies throughout the Bay Area. Now, an East Bay lawmaker is sponsoring a bill to mandate that all rape kits be tested.
Rape victims say it's an insult when they go through a long sexual assault exam and then no one bothers to test for DNA that might identify the attacker and possibly link him to other crimes.
Assm. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, held a news conference Tuesday with Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley to announce AB 1517. It would give law enforcement five days to get rape kits to a crime lab. The lab would then have 30 days to upload the DNA profile into the state database.
"We have sex offenders who are continuing to commit sexual assault crimes against, primarily woman, that are going un-prosecuted because the evidence is sitting in the police evidence room," O'Malley said.
"And we are not going to tolerate having a backlog of which we don't even know the number yet, statewide,' Skinner said.
An I-Team investigation from last May found that Alameda County had almost 2,000 untested kits, San Jose had more than 1,800 and San Francisco had almost 200 in just two years.
laws, crime, SFPD, sex crimes, i-team, dan noyes
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall 20 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 42 min ago
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos