Lifestyle & Fun
A primal workout
UPPER WEST SIDE -- It definitely is not your traditional workout. It's rather a beastly kind.
Leading this pack of animals is Kira Stokes, the creator of Stoked Primal.
During this 30 minute workout you mimic the moves of animals like a frog.
Others have copied the class at Reebok Sports Club, but this is the original.
"Crawling is not just about crawling, it's about engaging your back, your shoulders, your triceps," Stokes said. "It's kind of stripping fitness down to the bare bones. They're not traditional movements that you would do with your body so you sort of wake up this muscles in a sense."
You use only your body weight as a tool, pushing and pulling it in all directions.
"You get the body moving in all directions, thins will shift, fat will shift calories will be burned and your body just gets stronger and leaner," Stokes said.
Kira's Stoked series includes 8 classes of fitness routines that challenge every muscle in your body.
You can burn around 350 calories, and that's in just 30 minutes. The Komodo Dragon does the trick and the alligator is mind-boggling, but at first you should take baby steps, which eventually turn into ones that look like a black cat.
"Maybe you only made it halfway across the room during the first week and you knew you got 3/4's of the way the second week, so to see that progress, it keeps people coming back and keeps them committed," Stokes said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fitness, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 21 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case