New Hope To Save Moffett's Hanger One
July 26 - KGO (KGO) -- There's new hope for preservationists trying to save an historic landmark at Moffett Field.
They've convinced the Navy to reconsider the fate of the base's huge Hanger One. The huge dome-shaped building was built in 1933 to house massive Dirigible's.
The Navy announced plans last May to tear it down to get rid of toxic chemicals that were leaking from its skin into nearby groundwater.
Demolition would cost $12 million. Decontamination would cost double that.
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 57 min ago
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut 7 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting...
53 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
57 min ago