New Hope To Save Moffett's Hanger One
July 26 - KGO (KGO) -- There's new hope for preservationists trying to save an historic landmark at Moffett Field.
They've convinced the Navy to reconsider the fate of the base's huge Hanger One. The huge dome-shaped building was built in 1933 to house massive Dirigible's.
The Navy announced plans last May to tear it down to get rid of toxic chemicals that were leaking from its skin into nearby groundwater.
Demolition would cost $12 million. Decontamination would cost double that.
- Fire in Mission Dolores neighborhood contained
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 34 min ago
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- Reports: Ferry with 471 people sinking off SKorea
- Accelerant detection dog searches after San Jose fire
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- Photos: 'Blood moon' seen around Bay Area
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos