PG&E Unveils Prototype Hybrid Car
Apr. 9 - BCN -- It may sound like a fantasy, but it's fact: a car that can power your house! The technology is being unveiled today by PG&E at an alternative energy event in Sunnyvale.
Pacific Gas & Electric Co. today unveiled a prototype new hybrid car that could be used to power its owner's home during blackouts or times of high power cost.
The car uses Vehicle-to-Grid, known as V2G, technology. The technology turns the vehicle, a modified Toyota Prius, into an electricity storage system that can be plugged in to a standard wall outlet, both to charge its batteries and with the flip of a switch to add its own stored power to the grid.
"PG&E is committed to meeting the challenges associated with climate change by developing and bringing innovative alternative-fuel technologies to our customers," PG&E Vice President Bob Howard said. "V2G represents the best of these technologies because it intersects the transportation and utility sectors -- the nation's two largest contributors of greenhouse gases -- to increase energy reliability and protect the environment."
A lithium ion battery was added to the Prius increasing its gas mileage substantially and, during a demonstration in Sunnyvale this morning before the Silicon Valley leadership Group, allowing it to run several lights and appliances.
"PG&E's V2G demonstration marks an important milestone for plug-in vehicle technology," CalCars.org founder Felix Kramer said. "Using a grid-connected car's battery as distributed energy storage for homes or businesses expands the economic and environmental benefits of plug-in vehicles."
PG&E officials did not release a schedule of when the V2G technology would be available to the general public.
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash 49 min ago
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 2 min ago
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos