Yahoo Company Art Exhibit Stirs Up Controversy
SUNNYVALE, Calif. Oct.2 2007 (KGO) (KGO) -- If you look carefully when driving through Sunnyvale, you will count more than four dozen pieces of public art; some big, some small, and all of them, now the object of a law suit as the artist is crying 'Yahoo!' for all the wrong reasons.
We cannot remember the last time in human history that a few wires with reflectors have generated such defining and monumental silence.
Yahoo! executives are neither talking, nor returning calls about the public art exhibit outside the company's Sunnyvale headquarters; a rendition of a wired world, eminating from what once were wetlands.
The problem is that it isn't supposed to look that way. The artist had something else in mind.
Sharon Louden did not speak today from her New York City studio, but her agent did.
"She's pretty upset about the whole situation," he told us. "The experience has left her raw."
After completion, the art exhibit, called 'Reflecting Tips', had long, moundy, natural grass. Yahoo paid $100,000-dollars for the work to comply with a Sunnyvale requirement for pubic art.
However, last year, someone from the city mistook that long grass for bad maintenance. He complained to Yahoo!, which then took a weed-whacker to it.
Now, Sharon Louden wants her work restored, so she has sued, claiming federal, county, and state law protects public art in its original form.
"What the municipal code addresses is that if there is public art, you are required to maintain it properly," says John Pilger, Sunnyvale spokesperson.
In short, we have a contractual dispute between a suffering artist and her super sized client -- one with an abundance of gardeners, but too little to say.
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 56 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 29 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 29 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 28 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 36 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
56 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
45 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
50 min ago