Muni unveils the "connected bus"
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- For the first time, some Muni bus riders got to experience free wi-fi access and informational touch screens. It's called the 'connected bus', and it made its first connection on the 10 Townsend line.
"It's self explanatory. If you're a computer whiz, it's very simple," says Barbara Brooks, Muni Driver.
Barbara Brooks has been driving Muni buses, but she's never driven one like the 'connected bus'. First of all, it's green outside. Second, it's green inside and Muni says it's 95 percent emission free. To help passengers on the 10 Townsend understand how it works, David Evans, from Cisco Systems, was on board this morning.
"We use a Sprint data network and it lets people use computers via wi-fi through Cisco's router and connect out to internet," says Evans.
One of the first people to put the Muni connected bus wi-fi to the test was Colleen November from Sizemacom Marketing.
"It'll be good for everyone. You can get a start on the morning checking your email," says November.
AC Transit already has a wi-fi bus, but the folks at Muni say this bus connects more than just people with the internet. Its onboard computer connects with the bus' operational system, creating maintenance logs and performance evaluations.
There are five touch screens -- one by the driver, two overhead, and two in the back of the bus. The screens tell you how long your wait is if you want to transfer to another line and that's why Muni calls it the 'connected bus'.
AC Transit has wi-fi on 90 busses, while Muni has it on one. Mayor Newsom predicts this $10,000 dollar system will be on every Muni bus someday.
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 28 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos