Santa Rosa Police Chief resigns
SANTA ROSA, CA -- Santa Rosa Police Chief Ed Flint will resign Aug. 2, Santa Rosa City Manger Jeff Kolin announced this afternoon
Kolin said Flint, 57, chief since 2004, will receive six months' severance pay and up to $7,000 in reimbursement for legal expenses.
Kolin said he could not discuss why Flint is resigning because it is a personnel matter.
The Santa Rosa Police Department has been involved in a controversy that resulted in the firing in May of Capt. Jamie Mitchell, the department's second-in-command.
Mitchell and Flint are the targets of complaints alleging they retaliated against employees who complained about dysfunction within the police department. Mitchell has sued the city, claiming he was fired to placate those employees. His suit is in federal District Court in San Francisco.
Kolin praised Flint's "commitment and contribution to the community." He said the city's crime rate has decreased and that the department's traffic safety and enforcement and gang intervention programs have been recognized in California and nationwide.
The city will interview retired police chiefs outside the area to find an interim chief and then will conduct a statewide search for about six months to find a new police chief, Kolin said.
"The city wishes Chief Flint well and looks forward to a smooth transition of leadership in the Department," Kolin said.
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease 58 min ago
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder 39 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- SF group fights to turn parking into...
49 min ago