Autism activists protest in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- More than 100 autism activists and autistic children protested outside of KNEW radio station in San Francisco on Sunday.
They're demanding the firing of talk show host Michael Savage. The protesters are upset with Savage's controversial comments about autism.
On his nationally syndicated show on July 16th, he called autism a "fraud" and autistic children "brats."
A San Francisco mother talked about her autistic son at today's rally.
"Edward is one of the most sensitive individuals I have ever encountered. He is not a brat, and he has a loving father and mother who adore him," said
On Savage's Web site, he claims his comments were taken out of context, and that: "A cartel of doctors and drug companies is now creating a national panic by over diagnosing autism. Many children are being victimized by being diagnosed with an illness that may not exist."
- Campbell police seek witnesses in fatal stabbing
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Fashion designer L'Wren Scott found dead in NY
- DUI checkpoints dot the Bay Area on St. Paddy's Day 44 min ago
- 2 hospitalized after stabbing in San Francisco 17 min ago
- Police search for clues in fatal Concord hit-and-run
- Putin declares Crimea 'sovereign and independent'
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- New book reveals Steve Jobs nixed Apple TV idea 45 min ago
- GitHub employee quits; Alleges sexism in workplace
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- DUI checkpoints dot the Bay Area on St....
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos