$5M approved for vehicle charging stations
SAN FRANCISCO -- Electronic car owners in the Bay Area may soon have easier access to charging stations as the Bay Area Air Quality Management District approved $5 million in funding last week to go toward developing a regional electric vehicle charging infrastructure program.
Specifically, funds will support development of 3,000 home charging stations, 2,000 public charging stations and 50 charging stations near highways.
The Air District, the regional agency chartered with protecting air quality in the nine-county Bay Area, is working to establish a network of accessible charging sites where electric vehicle owners can conveniently recharge while conducting normal business, running errands or shopping.
The electronic vehicle charging stations and home chargers are part of the Air District's Spare the Air program.
"The past several years have seen exciting progress in the development of electric vehicle technology," Air District Executive Officer Jack Broadbent said in a prepared statement. "Crating a useful charging network will make it easier for Bay Area residents to Spare the Air every day by going electric."
In the Bay Area, transportation accounts for more than 50 percent of air pollution, according to the Air District.
bay area air quality management district, alternative energy, auto industry, local news
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists 29 min ago
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead 3 min ago
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves 9 min ago
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday