Search continues for car with missing boy
PATTERSON, Calif. (KGO) -- Along the Delta-Mendota Canal near Patterson, Sheriff's Deputies and salvage crews have done the drill so many times, now, that the work might almost seem routine, if not for the reality of what they may, yet find.
"All evidence points to a car being in the water," said Stanislaus County Sheriff's spokesman Raj Singh. "Our goal is to find it, or rule this out as a lead."
Authorities continue to follow up on a tip that led to tire tracks and a broken string of buoys. They are searching for a silver Toyota containing 4-year-old Juliani Cardenas and Jose Esteban Rodriguez, the man police suspect of abducting him last Tuesday. The case generated an AMBER Alert that remains in effect for San Jose and California's Central Valley.
"We have to be patient with things like this," said local resident Almador Navarro, who waited at a roadblock in his car.
But for people unfamiliar with this area, it's a surprise to see crews pulling so many vehicles from the canal. "We have done six so far," said Doug Borges, who runs the wrecking truck. And, that was early, today...before he pulled three more cars and a stolen motorcycle in less than 100 yards, making the total nine, and still counting.
Those numbers do not surprise local residents. "Well, I was out there fishing one day and watched them haul four in an hour," said Preston Jacks, as he too, waited for a roadblock to clear. "You know they're out there."
Meantime, the family of Juliani Cardenas remains at home, secluded, in the company of an FBI agent.
"We just want to give them some closure," said Deputy Singh.
The suspect's car is described as a silver Toyota Corolla with a California license plate number: 6HBW445.
A vigil took place Tuesday night in Patterson. The event was put on by Juliani's mother in hopes that her son will soon be returned safely.
amber alert, central valley, local news, wayne freedman
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 34 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire 51 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 20 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos