Japan Earthquake Resources and Donation Info
Here is information for the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other organizations donating money to the Japan relief efforts.
Emergency Information and Locating People:
There are several agencies that will help you contact family members and friends living or traveling in Japan. Those are listed here:
The U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 or 202-647-5225.
Call the 1-800-REDCROSS and for help registering call 1-800-733-2767.
Red Cross Safe and Well is available to help families connect in this emergency.
Also, hundreds affected by the Japan quake are streaming into three Bay Area USO centers
The American Red Cross
The American Red Cross is working with the Japanese Red Cross to respond the disaster. They need money for emergency relief supplies and temporary shelter. If you want to help, go to www.redcross.org, or you can text "redcross" to "90999" to make a $10 donation for those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific.
The Salvation Army
There are four easy ways people can contribute money to The Salvation Army's 'Japan Earthquake / Tsunamis' disaster relief efforts:
By Text: Text the words "Japan" or "Quake" to 80888 to make a $10 donation
By phone: Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY -- Designate gift for "Japan Earthquake/Tsunamis" (credit card or debit card)
Online: Go to www.salvationarmyusa.org and designate gift for "Japan Earthquake/Tsunamis"
By mail: Send your check or money order, marked "Japan Earthquake/Tsunamis" to:
The Salvation Army
PO Box 80066
Prescott, AZ. 86304-8066
Click here to donate to CARE online. For more information call: 1-800-422-7385
151 Ellis St. NE,
Atlanta, GA 30303-2440
Bake sale for Japan: April 2, 2011 A simultaneous national bakesale hosted by bakeries, restaurants, and other businesses
Restaurants for relief
Click here for more information
Community Disaster Preparedness:
Learn techniques for disaster preparedness, how to plan for one, how to build a disaster kit, and what to do during an earthquake or fire.
American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Class
Saturday, April 16 -- 11:30 a.m.
Location: Vallejo Community Center
225 Amador Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
Check out the ABC7 Earthquake Preparedness Guide for more information on becoming better prepared for a major earthquake in the Bay Area.
earthquake, tsunami, japan quake, local news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court 39 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown