Report: Mother made up Botox story for money
There is a stunning development in the "Botox mom" investigation. The mother is now retracting her statements that she injects her 8-year-old daughter with Botox to remove wrinkles for beauty pageants.
Entertainment website "TMZ" says it obtained a sworn declaration from the woman who had called herself Kerry Campbell. The woman now identifies herself as Sheena Upton, and says the hoax began when she was approached by the British tabloid, "The Sun," to play the role of a mom named Campbell. She says "The Sun" paid her $200 and even provided a script telling her what to say.
Upton claims 'GMA' and another TV show offered her a large fee for an on-camera interview. The fallout from those interviews led California Child Protective Services to remove her daughter from her home.
In today's statement, Upton claims she had her daughter examined by UCLA Medical Center and "the results indicated that she has never received treatments including Botox or other such injections".
ABC News released a response to this development, saying it's "vigorously investigating the most recent statement and rapidly shifting story. 'Good Morning America' has repeatedly questioned Upton, members of her family, and other sources who again and again stood by the Botox story.
And in yet another development, 'The Sun' newspaper is denying that it gave Upton a script, and says it only published the story after a reporter watched the mom give an injection that looked like Botox to her daughter.
plastic surgery, botox mom, local news
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 38 min ago
- Deep freeze grips most of United States 36 min ago
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders 23 min ago
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 56 min ago
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday 19 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
36 min ago