Fugitive arrested in Georgia for 1980 murder
HOUSTON -- Harris County District Attorney Pat Lykos announced the second arrest in less than a week by her fugitive apprehension section. This time they tracked down a man wanted for a 1980 murder.
Epifaneo Jaimes Arroyo, 55, was arrested in Gwinnett County, Georgia, Wednesday evening. He successfully eluded authorities for over three decades, but DA Investigator Chuck Lowery refused to give up on his capture.
On July 12, 1980, Miguel Frias was partying with friends at the La Chancla Club in north Houston when an altercation between his group and another escalated. The fight continued in the parking lot after the nightclub closed. Arroyo and his brother pursued the victim two blocks from the club, where authorities say they were observed beating and stabbing the victim.
Investigator Lowery researched law enforcement databases and public records, trying to find Arroyo and witnesses to the murder before locating the fugitive in Georgia. With the assistance of the Houston Police Department and Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office, Arroyo was arrested late Wednesday. Kim Bryant, Extradition Administrator for the Harris County DA's Office, is coordinating his return to a Harris County courtroom.
DA Lykos said, "Dangerous felons have evaded authorities for years, but they don't know about our secret weapon-Investigator Chuck Lowery. He has been tracking down people who have avoided capture for decades and returning them to face justice. If you are a fugitive from Harris County, you might as well surrender now!"
The Fugitive Apprehension Section was formed by DA Lykos shortly after she took office in January 2009. Since the unit's formation, more than 40 murderers and capital murderers have been arrested and returned to Harris County.
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 6 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
abc7news.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos