Few delays at Bay Area airports today
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- Millions of people are expected to travel over the Thanksgiving holiday, according to AAA, even though gas and airfare prices are higher. Ninety percent are expected to drive. They may have trouble getting around in parts of the country. Snow and freezing rain are affecting parts of both the East and West Coast.
About 135,000 people are expected to travel from San Francisco International Airport today. That number is up four percent from the same time as last year. So far, especially for people who flew out early this morning, it has been smooth sailing.
Passengers on the predawn flights out of SFO had nothing to complain about this morning and even hours later.
"I was prepared for more of a crowd than this, but we were the only ones in the line," said Sashi Kant of Sunnyvale.
The spokesman for SFO said it helps that Terminal 2 is now open after 10 years of construction.
"American Airlines and Virgin America were put in there and that kind of shifted the load to get in and out of security and get in and out of roadways," said SFO Spokesman Mike McCarron.
More people are expected to drive this year as well. About five million Americans will get behind the wheel and travel at least 50 miles, which is up four percent from last year.
"So far so good, we are pleased with that. But it is still a long way to go so we are hoping to get through the day OK," said McCarron.
At 11 a.m., there were no significant delays at SFO or other Bay Area airports.
thanksgiving, san francisco international airport, mineta san jose international airport, oakland international airport, local news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 15 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 34 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 38 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos