Few delays at Bay Area airports today
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- Millions of people are expected to travel over the Thanksgiving holiday, according to AAA, even though gas and airfare prices are higher. Ninety percent are expected to drive. They may have trouble getting around in parts of the country. Snow and freezing rain are affecting parts of both the East and West Coast.
About 135,000 people are expected to travel from San Francisco International Airport today. That number is up four percent from the same time as last year. So far, especially for people who flew out early this morning, it has been smooth sailing.
Passengers on the predawn flights out of SFO had nothing to complain about this morning and even hours later.
"I was prepared for more of a crowd than this, but we were the only ones in the line," said Sashi Kant of Sunnyvale.
The spokesman for SFO said it helps that Terminal 2 is now open after 10 years of construction.
"American Airlines and Virgin America were put in there and that kind of shifted the load to get in and out of security and get in and out of roadways," said SFO Spokesman Mike McCarron.
More people are expected to drive this year as well. About five million Americans will get behind the wheel and travel at least 50 miles, which is up four percent from last year.
"So far so good, we are pleased with that. But it is still a long way to go so we are hoping to get through the day OK," said McCarron.
At 11 a.m., there were no significant delays at SFO or other Bay Area airports.
thanksgiving, san francisco international airport, mineta san jose international airport, oakland international airport, local news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash 32 min ago
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer 14 min ago
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges 46 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos