Students to represent CA at Scrabble championship
BELMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Four Bay Area middle schoolers are preparing to represent the state of California at the National School Scrabble Championship.
Four middle schoolers are about to head to Florida for the National School Scrabble Championship. But for now, they're having their last practice game in a Belmont dining room.
"This entire year, well, half a year really, we've been practicing just for this one sort of moment; so I'm very excited for it," Chris Fellowes said.
Fellowes, a sixth grader at Tierra Linda Middle School, and his classmate Ally Stein compete as a team.
"We know each other very well and we know each other's strengths and weaknesses," Stein said.
Across the table Rajiv Nelakanti and Vineet Mudupalli, from Sunnyvale, make up the other half of the Bay Scrabble Club, which has won the state championship four times.
Tournament Scrabble has its own dictionary that's missing some common words like "Zen," but has lots of other little words you've never heard of.
All that learning takes motivation from a good coach.
"I try to enable them to be empowered in their learning in this game. So they can study word lists as much as they want, or as little as they want," Jeff Martinov said.
It makes their parents awfully proud; not just about scoring high, but about playing the game.
"I watch her gracefully win and lose, and deal with the boys," Missy Stein said.
"Being polite and being a good sport; they start to embrace, those values become important to them because they know it's part of being a good player but also being a good person," Martinov said.
The team has four spots open for next year for 4th through 8th graders.
local news, jonathan bloom
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Cold snap damages plants in Bay Area yards
47 min ago