Israeli defense minister visits Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Israel's minister of defense is in the Bay Area right now, quietly holding several meetings.
Minister Matan Vilnai was at San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management Services. He and the Israeli consul general and their team had an inside look at Bay Area disaster preparedness and earthquake retrofitting.
Vilnai flew in from Tel Aviv last night and went straight to a fundraiser by Roots of Peace in San Rafael. They are working on a new program to remove more than a million landmines from Israel and the West Bank.
The minister was just appointed as Israel's ambassador to China.
israel, roots of peace, local news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 58 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 55 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos