Israeli defense minister visits Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Israel's minister of defense is in the Bay Area right now, quietly holding several meetings.
Minister Matan Vilnai was at San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management Services. He and the Israeli consul general and their team had an inside look at Bay Area disaster preparedness and earthquake retrofitting.
Vilnai flew in from Tel Aviv last night and went straight to a fundraiser by Roots of Peace in San Rafael. They are working on a new program to remove more than a million landmines from Israel and the West Bank.
The minister was just appointed as Israel's ambassador to China.
israel, roots of peace, local news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 12 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side 54 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver 47 min ago
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall 15 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
12 min ago
- Bay Area residents monitor SKorea ferry...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos