Israeli defense minister visits Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Israel's minister of defense is in the Bay Area right now, quietly holding several meetings.
Minister Matan Vilnai was at San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management Services. He and the Israeli consul general and their team had an inside look at Bay Area disaster preparedness and earthquake retrofitting.
Vilnai flew in from Tel Aviv last night and went straight to a fundraiser by Roots of Peace in San Rafael. They are working on a new program to remove more than a million landmines from Israel and the West Bank.
The minister was just appointed as Israel's ambassador to China.
israel, roots of peace, local news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday