Bay Area marijuana enthusiasts celebrate 4/20
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It's April 20th -- and for marijuana smokers it's is practically a national holiday.
Thousands turned out at Golden Gate Park Friday to mark the unofficial celebration of pot.
People were openly rolling joints and taking puffs from bongs all afternoon. There was also plenty of edible pot to go around and a big smoke out at exactly 4:20 p.m.
"We all have our medical 215 cards and it's all legal and we're just doing our medication here, having a lovely day," medical marijuana user Andy George said.
Other advocates for medical marijuana converged on Oakland's federal building to protest a raid on the city's cannabis college.
Dozens of people held up signs condemning the crackdown that shutdown Oaksterdam University almost three weeks ago.
They also lit up joints to openly protest the Obama administration's stance against the drug. They want the federal government to respect California's medical marijuana law.
The origin of the term 4-20 is still up for debate, but many say it started at San Rafael High School.
It is so widely used that a California bill to regulate the use of medical marijuana was named SB420.
marijuana, medical marijuana, drugs, golden gate park, oakland, protest, local news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 38 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms 18 min ago
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony 45 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings 59 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial 50 min ago
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos