Bay Area basks in warm weather
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- With temperatures 15 degrees above normal in some parts of the Bay Area, the weather got a lot of people outdoors Saturday.
Fentons Creamery on Piedmont Avenue was packed. Ice cream was on a lot of minds, but so was getting out to enjoy the day.
"I do not remember the last time it was this gorgeous," said Jamie Epstein of Berkeley.
It was gorgeous, but hot. Parts of the South Bay hit 90 degrees, which is why public and private pools were popular places to be.
But for many, Saturday wasn't just about relaxing. It was all about work and cleaning up the environment for Earth Day.
Earth Day events took place all over the Bay Area. Volunteers in El Cerrito pulled out an acre's worth of scotch broom, a weed that was over taking the hillside.
"It is hard work but I think it's rewarding once you take a step back and see the work you've done. It's really a nice feeling," said Avery Burrell of Danville.
Earth Day is also about education. In El Cerrito, people learned how to grow their own vegetables.
In Oakland, students at Montera Middle School learned a very important lesson about fire prevention. They helped remove tree limbs, which are real hazards now that fire season is here.
local news, lisa amin gulezian
- Child thrown from apartment fire in Hayward 30 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 14 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos