Bay Area basks in warm weather
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- With temperatures 15 degrees above normal in some parts of the Bay Area, the weather got a lot of people outdoors Saturday.
Fentons Creamery on Piedmont Avenue was packed. Ice cream was on a lot of minds, but so was getting out to enjoy the day.
"I do not remember the last time it was this gorgeous," said Jamie Epstein of Berkeley.
It was gorgeous, but hot. Parts of the South Bay hit 90 degrees, which is why public and private pools were popular places to be.
But for many, Saturday wasn't just about relaxing. It was all about work and cleaning up the environment for Earth Day.
Earth Day events took place all over the Bay Area. Volunteers in El Cerrito pulled out an acre's worth of scotch broom, a weed that was over taking the hillside.
"It is hard work but I think it's rewarding once you take a step back and see the work you've done. It's really a nice feeling," said Avery Burrell of Danville.
Earth Day is also about education. In El Cerrito, people learned how to grow their own vegetables.
In Oakland, students at Montera Middle School learned a very important lesson about fire prevention. They helped remove tree limbs, which are real hazards now that fire season is here.
local news, lisa amin gulezian
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 11 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos