Tour of California cycling race begins
The first stage of one of the largest cycling races in America kicked off in Santa Rosa just before 11 a.m. Sunday
The Bay Area leg of the Amgen Tour of California will wind through five Bay Area counties and wrap up in Livemore Tuesday.
Cyclists will wind their way from San Francisco to Santa Cruz County on Monday. On Tuesday, racers start in San Jose and go through central Contra Costa County before finishing in Livermore. The tour is nothing new to the Bay Area but there are some new challenges this year, including a climb up Mount Diablo.
More than 2 million people are expected to line the route statewide this year.
The eight-day tour will finish in Southern California on May 20.
bikes, livermore, southern california, santa rosa, local news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville 52 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions 7 min ago
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad 37 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend 48 min ago
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban
- Man exposes himself outside of hospital in SF
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee from Gevalia 1 min ago
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF 12 min ago
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- This week's Perfect pet 'Francis'
26 min ago