Tour of California cycling race begins
The first stage of one of the largest cycling races in America kicked off in Santa Rosa just before 11 a.m. Sunday
The Bay Area leg of the Amgen Tour of California will wind through five Bay Area counties and wrap up in Livemore Tuesday.
Cyclists will wind their way from San Francisco to Santa Cruz County on Monday. On Tuesday, racers start in San Jose and go through central Contra Costa County before finishing in Livermore. The tour is nothing new to the Bay Area but there are some new challenges this year, including a climb up Mount Diablo.
More than 2 million people are expected to line the route statewide this year.
The eight-day tour will finish in Southern California on May 20.
bikes, livermore, southern california, santa rosa, local news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End 24 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87 32 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child 6 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds 46 min ago
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch 54 min ago