Tour of California cycling race begins
The first stage of one of the largest cycling races in America kicked off in Santa Rosa just before 11 a.m. Sunday
The Bay Area leg of the Amgen Tour of California will wind through five Bay Area counties and wrap up in Livemore Tuesday.
Cyclists will wind their way from San Francisco to Santa Cruz County on Monday. On Tuesday, racers start in San Jose and go through central Contra Costa County before finishing in Livermore. The tour is nothing new to the Bay Area but there are some new challenges this year, including a climb up Mount Diablo.
More than 2 million people are expected to line the route statewide this year.
The eight-day tour will finish in Southern California on May 20.
bikes, livermore, southern california, santa rosa, local news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 1 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes 55 min ago
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy 7 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- BART Board president wants to ban transit...
55 min ago
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos