Record number of BART escalators out of service
If it seems like the escalators in BART stations are constantly broken, it's not too far from the truth.
BART officials say 28 of its 179 escalators are out of service right now. That's a record for the transit agency. Most of the broken ones are located in downtown San Francisco.
BART blames the heavy wear and tear the escalators endure, both from passengers and the weather. The transit system plans to spend some $200,000 to rehab each escalator.
BART, local news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 20 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges 38 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday 51 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
36 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos