Record number of BART escalators out of service
If it seems like the escalators in BART stations are constantly broken, it's not too far from the truth.
BART officials say 28 of its 179 escalators are out of service right now. That's a record for the transit agency. Most of the broken ones are located in downtown San Francisco.
BART blames the heavy wear and tear the escalators endure, both from passengers and the weather. The transit system plans to spend some $200,000 to rehab each escalator.
BART, local news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Wind wreaks havoc across the Bay Area
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- 7 On Your Side: Save on summer vacation flights
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bear wanders into residential SoCal...
43 min ago