Record number of BART escalators out of service
If it seems like the escalators in BART stations are constantly broken, it's not too far from the truth.
BART officials say 28 of its 179 escalators are out of service right now. That's a record for the transit agency. Most of the broken ones are located in downtown San Francisco.
BART blames the heavy wear and tear the escalators endure, both from passengers and the weather. The transit system plans to spend some $200,000 to rehab each escalator.
BART, local news
- Police investigating shooting in Richmond 39 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed