U.S. ambassador of the PLO in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee met with the U.S. ambassador of the Palestinian Liberation Organization Thursday. They talked about bridging ethnic differences.
Ambassador Maen Rashid Areikat came to ABC7 to talk about several issues, including landmines. He's working with Heidi Kuhn, founder of San Rafael-based Roots of Peace. It's raising money to remove landmines in the fields of Bethlehem.
"It has to be non political, when you are trying to save lives, trying to serve human beings regardless of their background, ethnic background, religion, this is something that should be supported," Areikat said.
Roots of Peace hosted a private meeting with the ambassador Thursday night to talk about donations.
ed lee, roots of peace, israel, palestine, local news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF 47 min ago
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday