El Camino Real celebrates 100th anniversary
SAN BRUNO, Calif. (KGO) -- Tuesday is the 100th anniversary of the groundbreaking of a road almost all of us have traveled on, El Camino Real.
Construction on what would become the 'royal road' began in San Bruno in 1912.
El Camino Real is now state Highway 82. It stretches through 19 cities in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.
Peninsula officials held a ceremony at the spot of the ground-breaking. A classic car show was also held, to honor the classic road.
santa clara county, san mateo county, local news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting