Missing former SF firefighter found dead in Nebraska
MCCOOK, Neb. -- A retired San Francisco firefighter and San Mateo resident who disappeared last week while traveling to Chicago by train was found dead in Nebraska today, according to a statement from family members.
The body of Charles "Charlie" Dowd, 69, was spotted by a railway worker in Haigler, Neb., an area between Fort Morgan, Colo. and McCook, Neb., the statement said.
Dowd was traveling from Emeryville to Chicago last week, but failed to arrive in Chicago. His cellphone, luggage and medication were found still on the train.
He was last seen by an Amtrak conductor on the train somewhere near Omaha, Neb., according to his wife Patricia.
The conductor told the family that Dowd seemed confused about his whereabouts. The family has said Dowd takes medication that can sometimes leave him disoriented.
The family has conducted a major search effort in the areas along the train's route this past week, following up on possible sightings and contacting media, hospitals and law enforcement in the area. They also created a Facebook page to publicize their efforts.
"While the family is devastated, they would like to express their gratitude for the many prayers, support, and messages posted to the Charlie Dowd Facebook page, and for the efforts of the many volunteers who have helped search for him this past week," the family said in a statement.
sffd, missing person, amtrak, san mateo, local news
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race 21 min ago
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6 43 min ago
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2 59 min ago
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday