23rd anniversary of Loma Prieta quake marked
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Northern Californians are remembering this date in 1989 as the day that shook the Bay.
Today is the 23rd anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake. It hit at 5:04 p.m., rocking the World Series between the Giants and A's. The span of the Bay Bridge buckled -- I-880 was flattened and the Marina District caught fire.
The quake was a 6.9 magnitude that caused 63 deaths, more than 3700 injuries and left thousands of Bay Area residents homeless.
earthquake, local news
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- East Palo Alto school introduces girls to aviation 42 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Private school in Oakland on lockdown after assault
- VIRAL VIDEO: Little girl donates hair to... 12 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Woman killed when gun in donated clothes fires
- Bay Area Rosie the Riveters to meet Joe Biden in DC 9 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties 30 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 31 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
31 min ago
- East Palo Alto school introduces girls to...
42 min ago