Middle school students get self-defense training
SAN CARLOS, Calif. -- Students at a San Carlos middle school are getting lessons in safety and self-defense this week.
Lunch-period training sessions are scheduled for today and Tuesday at Terra Linda Middle School.
The sessions, sponsored by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Activities League, come in response to recent crimes on local school campuses that have alarmed community members, sheriff's spokeswoman Rebecca Rosenblatt said.
In September, a man walked onto three elementary and middle school campuses and harassed multiple students. In the third case, on Sept. 21, he abducted a 9-year-old girl from a bathroom at Parkside Elementary School in San Mateo and sexually assaulted her.
A San Francisco resident, Bradley Mrozek, was arrested as a suspect in those cases and is also accused in a separate incident at George Washington Elementary School in Daly City in March in which a man attempted to take pictures inside a girls' bathroom.
He has pleaded not guilty to molestation, kidnapping and other charges.
Eric Acha, an inspector with the district attorney's office and the owner of the Peninsula Self Defense Training Academy in Redwood City, is leading the training sessions.
Acha has 17 years of experience in law enforcement, and achieved a black belt in karate and a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Rosenblatt said. He will be teaching students the basic methods of self-defense in an abduction or kidnapping scenario.
The Sheriff's Activities League last week sponsored a similar training session at Central Middle School in San Carlos.
san carlos, local news
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday