Bay Area food banks facing turkey shortage
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Thanksgiving is just a week and half away and food banks are struggling to meet the need. Many of them are facing a severe turkey shortage and they're pleading for help. The problem is the large food banks don't have enough turkeys, which means they can't supply the charitable groups who cook the meals.
It's just nine days before Thanksgiving and the League of Volunteer's pantry is practically bare. For the 24th year, the organization is planning one of the largest Thanksgiving Day dinners in the East Bay, where they'll feed 5,000 people in need.
Other shelters, pantries, and charitable organizations are reporting shortages too. That's mostly because the food banks that supply them are coming up short. Second Harvest says they need 6,000 more turkeys.
It may just be one meal, but the League of Volunteers say Thanksgiving is an important community-building day for people who have an appetite for being treated with dignity.
Turkeys can be dropped off at the food bank's Curtner Center in San Jose and Bing Center in San Carlos. Second Harvest has extended its hours to make donating easier. Click here for donation hours and locations.
charities, food, holiday, thanksgiving, san jose, san carlos, local news, alan wang
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 11 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 13 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos